What Is Kitchen Layout?
The kitchen layout shows the design of the proper arrangement of kitchen cabinets and kitchen appliances. The kitchen layout is very important for our kitchen. The effectiveness of kitchen room space depends on the layout of the kitchen.
Proper kitchen layout affects the streamlined planning of the space and the efficiency of the kitchen workflow.
Choosing a kitchen layout for your home depends on the space available, the physical layout of the kitchen, and the desired convenience.
Kitchen function The efficiency of the kitchen can be determined by the triangle. The kitchen work triangle has a defined area connecting the location of the refrigerator, range or cooktop and sink. This limits the distance between key appliances by the kitchen triangle. When you want to create an effective kitchen layout for the home, make sure that the kitchen work is done according to the triangle.
Type of Kitchen Layout
The six layouts of the kitchen area are as follows for your reference.
- L-Shape Kitchen Layout
- One Wall Kitchen Layout
- U-Shape Kitchen Layout
- G-Shape Kitchen Layout
- Galley Kitchen Layout
- Kitchen Island Layout
1. L-Shape Kitchen Layout
The L-shaped kitchen layout is most used for modern homes. The L-shaped kitchen layout is perfect for efficient use of space for the kitchen. This type of layout can be used to install cabinets and appliances with open corner walls as open spaces.
When designing this type of kitchen layout, the working triangle should be kept in mind. An ideal kitchen layout can be created as the L-shaped kitchen layout is set with the working triangle principle.
This type of kitchen layout is effectively suitable for kitchen layout small and medium-sized spaces. This type of Kitchen Layout almost follows a consistent guide to workstations up to 1.2 meters. The kitchen layout in any building is designed based on the space.
Advantage of L-Shaped Kitchen
- This type of kitchen layout gives a good look for the corner space.
- This type of kitchen layout is especially useful for small and medium kitchen spaces.
- This type of kitchen layout has space for benchtops and cabinets.
- This type of kitchen layout allows ample use of space.
- The work of this type of Kitchen Layout can be easily accomplished in relation to the working triangle.
- This type of kitchen layout is perfect for open space design.
Disadvantage of L-Shaped Kitchen
- This type of layout is not recommended for large kitchens.
- This type of kitchen layout cannot be done for multiple cooks.
- The L-shaped kitchen layout poses a problem for access to corner storage.
2. One Wall Kitchen Layout
One-Wall Kitchen Layout is a kind of kitchen design. This type of kitchen layout is made by erecting a platform with a wall. This type of Kitchen Layout is commonly used in small homes to save floor space and construction costs. There is also a one-wall kitchen layout for frugal use of space in ordinary homes.
In this type of kitchen layout cabinets, appliances and countertops etc. are fixed along one wall. This type of kitchen layout allows the cook to perform all tasks in the workspace installed in a single appropriate direction. This is because of the limited use of the limited area in this type of Kitchen Layout. This includes a compact refrigerator and range.
Sometimes this type of Kitchen Layout is designed with a wall surrounding the workspace which provides a good view to the occupant. And that allows for more workspace. Due to its limited space in this type of Kitchen Layout, no separate food preparation area is allotted.
This type of Kitchen Layout is usually very useful for residents to cook in one place. And cleaning can be done easily. So this one wall kitchen layout is very convenient.
Advantage of Single Wall Kitchen Layout
- A wall kitchen layout can save about 42% and 31% of the countertops and kitchen cabinets in a budget than other kitchen layouts. Because one is built on the wall. In addition, limited space can be used to the maximum.
- This type of kitchen layout gives an excellent look using limited space. Which also significantly reduces the budget for kitchen remodelling work.
- This type of Kitchen Layout allows compact design using a single wall. Because of this, there is enough space in the kitchen.
- With this type of kitchen layout, you can easily perform tasks ranging from cooking to cleaning. So that efficiency is significantly increased.
Disadvantage of Single Wall Kitchen Layout
- This type of kitchen layout provides limited space. For this it is used for limited space.
- Sometimes homeowners spend money behind the construction of a single wall kitchen layout to increase the resale value of their home. Which is non-profitable in extra cost.
- Sometimes this type of kitchen layout makes the cooking process tedious due to limited space.
3. U-Shape Kitchen Layout
The U-shaped kitchen layout is the most used and popular among the people. This Kitchen layout is perfect for small and large kitchen layout spaces. Plenty of storage can be provided in the U-shaped kitchen layout. Which gives you space to work on three sides.
This type of kitchen layout provides plenty of space for cooking. So people provide an option for their dream kitchen layout.
Why Choose U-Shaped Kitchen
The U-shaped kitchen layout is most efficient as a large sized kitchen. Which can easily work out the principle of ‘working triangle’. In this kitchen layout we can easily fix between sink, oven / cooktops and refrigerators as required.
This type of kitchen layout can accommodate two or more cooks due to ample space. This type of kitchen layout is most suitable for a large family.
Advantage of U-Shaped Kitchen layout
- Bench space can be designed in this type of kitchen layout.
- This type of kitchen layout easily accommodates two or more cooks at a time.
- The U-shaped Kitchen Layout helps keep traffic away for meals.
- This type of kitchen layout can include a kitchen island.
Disadvantage of U-shaped Kitchen
- Sometimes using cupboards and benches on three sides can reduce the floor area.
- In this type of kitchen layout it can be difficult to get access to the bottom corner cabinet.
- This type of Kitchen Layout makes cleaning difficult.
- Sometimes this type of Kitchen Layout feels like a small floor area.
4. G-Shape Kitchen Layout
This type of kitchen layout covers more space in the room area. This type of Kitchen Layout opens into a nearby room and creates a pass-through.
This type of kitchen layout should be used by those who have more space for kitchen layout. Which can use as much space as possible.
This type of kitchen layout can serve as a large kitchen area with appliances and a wide range of additional workspaces.
This type of Kitchen layout increases the storage area. And the cook has enough space to work easily. This type of kitchen layout is one of the most popular in the hotel.
Advantage of G-Shaped Kitchen
- This type of kitchen layout has enough space to store. In addition, there are three sidewalls for kitchen cabinets.
- The G-shaped kitchen layout has more space for the storage of various kitchen appliances.
- This type of kitchen layout can be turned off to make it more private. Or it can hold the kitchen wall high.
- The G-shaped kitchen layout provides enough space for multiple cooks to work at one time.
Disadvantage of G-Shaped Kitchen
- Sometimes this type of kitchen layout seems congested. Because of its over-storage, the density arises.
- This type of kitchen layout has a complex layout.
- G-shaped kitchen layouts do not have access to corners like u-shaped kitchen layouts.
- This type of kitchen layout causes problems for entry and exit. Therefore the layout of the kitchen should be carefully designed.
5. Galley Kitchen Layout
A galley kitchen layout is a type of kitchen with a narrow, wide layout. This type of Kitchen Layout includes base cabinets, wall cabinets, counters or other services. This type of kitchen can be equipped with devices such as countertops, fridges, sinks, cabinetry and other functional items on both sides of the central walkway.
galley kitchens layouts are small in size. The result is less expensive and denser than other kitchen layouts. Also, this type of kitchen layout is more efficient and compact than other kitchen layouts. Because in this type of kitchen layout various storage is done around it.
Advantage of Galley Kitchens
- Galley Kitchen Layout can be used in a limited space.
- This type of Kitchen layout is designed to use a variety of services. Such as water, electrical and gas etc. are clustered according to the system.
- Countertops and cabinets used in this type of kitchen layout are the most expensive elements in the kitchen. Which saves costs due to its small size in this type of Kitchen Layout.
- This type of kitchen layout covers less floor space.
- The galley layout is ideal for ordinary buildings as it is small.
Disadvantage of Galley Kitchens
- The galley kitchen layout makes it boring for two or more cooks to work.
- Limited storage can be done in galley kitchens.
- For those who need plenty of storage, you may not be able to use the Alley Kitchen Layout. Cabinets, drawers are available in this type of Kitchen Layout but its space is limited.
- The galley kitchen layout has an associated space for working space.
6. Kitchen Island Layout
The island’s kitchen layout is becoming increasingly popular in modern times. Because this type of kitchen provides new design options for renovation.
The kitchen island is housed in an independent countertop space in the kitchen area. This type of island is located in the area of the Kitchen Layout.
Typically, homeowners build additional islands in the kitchen to increase the preparation area for meals. The installation of an island in the kitchen layout can be done as required.
Sometimes the island is served as a complimentary dining area in the Kitchen Layout. Which provides a separate space for ready cooking.
Advantage of Kitchen Island
- Kitchen Island is designed to provide additional amenities in the kitchen area. Kitchen Island uses units such as microwave drawers and water.
- The islands are the best option for storage for everyday use such as stand mixers, ovens etc.
- It offers extra space in the kitchen. Which can be used for breakfast and homework for your children.
Disadvantage of Kitchen Island
- An island kitchen can also be a roadblock for a small kitchen area. So it is not used in small kitchens.
- If the island does not have a specific purpose of daily use for the kitchen, it can become a hindrance in the working space,
- The size of the island kitchen should be selected according to the space in the kitchen layout.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Kitchen Layout
Each kitchen layout has its advantages and disadvantages. Here are the main points:
Advantages of Kitchen Layout
- One-wall kitchen layout: Perfect for small spaces, compact and efficient workflow.
- Galley Kitchen Layout: Efficient and functional, the perfect solution for the space. and provides adequate storage.
- L-Shaped Kitchen Layout: Suitable for an island or dining area.
- U-Shaped Kitchen Layout: Offers plenty of counter and storage space. So its use is ideal for large families and multiple cooks.
- Island Kitchen Layout: Adds extra counter space.
Disadvantages of Kitchen Layout
- One-Wall Kitchen Layout: A one-wall kitchen layout is not an ideal layout option for large families with limited counter and storage space.
- Galley Kitchen Layout: Even challenging for multiple people, the cramped space can feel cramped.
- L-Shaped Kitchen Layout: It may be difficult to access the corner area.
- Island Kitchen Layout: An island kitchen layout requires ample space.
- Open plan kitchen layout: Lack of privacy, increased noise, and difficulty containing cooking smells. It requires planning for ventilation.