Crawl Space Foundation
According to a survey and research conducted by a construction survey, 15% of homes have a crawl space foundation installed. If you also want to establish a Crawl Space Foundation, you may be wondering how to Build a Crawl Space Foundation ?
As we know that foundation plays an important role in building any building or structure, it is important to choose the option wisely from the available options, which are both effective and efficient in nature.
Every building needs a strong foundation for the long time survival. Crawl Space Foundation is also a type of foundation that we discuss in this article and learn about the different aspects of using this foundation and how it works? How much will it cost? Where can this type of foundation be used?
In addition, it will help guide you through the process of creating a crawl space foundation. Sometimes people will get confused in choosing the option, so here we try to describe all the things easily so people will understand it easily and choose the best for them.
There are several options present in the market. You can search for them too, and with the help of this article, you will get major and basic information about the crawl space foundation, which will help you to make the decision.
What Is Crawl Space Foundation?
Crawl Space Foundation is a type of foundation in which concrete blocks are used in making foundation and large space left in this type of foundation for pipes and electric wires. The use of crawl space foundation is usually preferred in a dry area. This is because the foundation is prone to moisture damage.
This foundation is popular now a day’s among people because it gives strong support to the building and blocks also provide strength which helps in maintaining the balance of heavy structures. The name of this foundation itself suggests its meaning that the crawl space is only accessible through crawling.
In this type of foundation, a gap of a minimum of eighteen inches is an ideal measurement on which foundation has been made. Crawl Space Foundation gives ideal support to the structure or building and it is very helpful in plumbing works and electrical works to be done after completion of the foundation.
It is easy to use and handle and does not need much maintenance. The interior space of the crawl space foundation has supporting pillars throughout. Crawl Space Foundation is an effective civil engineering technique used by engineers to give a strong grip on the building so that it can survive in different weather conditions.
This foundation is very effective in those areas which are having some issues like uneven ground, water area, etc. Crawl Space Foundation is in demand and popular in the construction industry.
Also Read: Lean To Roof Ideas | Sawtooth Roof | Hip and Valley Roof | Catslide Roof
How to Build a Crawl Space Foundation?
Crawl space foundation is made by using bricks or concrete blocks by footing. Outer walls are made as stem walls which work as boundaries for the foundation and then blocks are used or bricks are used to make beams.
Beams are made at a measured distance from one another. These beams are made to give an equal height so that structure will be balanced properly.
Crawl space foundation is consists of space in the foundation, so it is easy to handle pipelines and wiring or electrical boards in the foundation. If any problem occurs in these pipelines or wiring it will be easily resolved in this type of foundation.
The crawl space foundation is made of strong concrete material as it is mainly focused on giving a strong grip so that the building or structure will not collapse.
Crawl space foundation requires highly skilled manpower because it is technical work and if non-technical manpower is hired to make this foundation the results will not proper or hazardous, so it is important to choose manpower wisely which is technical and highly skilled and experienced in the field of construction. Crawl space foundation is high in demand among the construction industry.
Also Read: Chimney Flashing | Roof Flashing | Counter Flashing | Gutter Guard | Gutter Helmet Vs Leaf Guard
Crawl Space Foundation Cost
Crawl space foundation is preferred by many builders now a day’s as it gives strong support to the building or structure. If we talk about the cost of the crawl space foundation then it depends on various factors such as the size of the foundation, material used in the foundation and if you want to include some additional items such as vapour barriers then it will cost much higher.
Crawl space foundation average cost without adding any special things will be around $8500 to $22000 and if you are going to add a vapour barrier in the foundation then it will cost you around $10,000 to $24000.
Another factor is the size of the foundation which varies cost, so there is no fixed amount which we suggest you but an average cost for the crawl space foundation is given which will give you an idea of the cost that will be incurred if you are planning to made crawl space foundation.
Also Read : Conservatory Roof | Gable Roof | Bonnet Roof | Saltbox Roof | Gambrel Roof | Types of Curved Roof
Crawl Space Foundation Repair Cost
Crawl Space Foundation repairs can cost from about $ 2,000 to $ 8,000 or more. Damaged foundations may need to be repaired to increase strength or replace damaged foundation pillars.
Advantages of Crawl Space Foundation
There are various advantages of crawl space foundation which are as follows:
- Crawl space foundation is helpful in giving strong support to the structure or building.
- Crawlspace foundation is best to prevent groundwater.
- Crawl space foundation gives an equal height which gives proper balancing to the structure.
- Crawl space foundation is useful in areas that have uneven ground levels.
- Crawl space foundation provides space for plumbing and wiring.
- The crawlspace foundation provides a strong grip to the foundation to hold the structure strongly.
- The crawlspace foundation acts as a barrier to vapour and water.
- Crawl space foundation prevents collapse of structure or building.
- Crawl space foundation is an efficient option that costs less than other foundations.
- Crawl space foundation provides warmness to the floor of a building because the foundation is properly insulated and ventilation is proper.
- In a crawl space foundation, it is very easy to inspect insects in foundation.
- Crawl space foundation will also provide you storage area if you want to use it to store anything.
Given the various advantages mentioned above, there are certain circumstances in which an architect or contractor may suggest a crawl space foundation as the best option for your home where slab foundation is not the most suitable. The slab foundation is usually used as the default foundation.
Also Read : What Is Roof Valley | What Is Metal Roof Insulation | Foam Gutter Guards | Modified Bitumen Roof
Disadvantages of Crawl Space Foundation
There are also some of the disadvantages of a crawl space foundation, as follows.
- Crawl space foundation is a time taken process because beams are made in this type of foundation, and it is necessary to make them on equal height, so it will take time to set beams on a fixed level.
- In the crawl space foundation, the height is given to the structure, which is quite high from the ground, so it requires stairs to enter the house.
- In the crawl space foundation, if vapour barriers are not fixed, then moisture will cause fungus.
- Crawl space foundation will not protect the building or structures from storms, floods, or any natural disaster.
- Most people prefer basement areas in the building, so when reselling the building, which has a crawl space foundation, it will be difficult to get deals.
Also Read : Clerestory Roof | Composition Roofing | TPO Roofing | Butterfly Roof
What Is the Purpose of a Crawl Space Foundation?
The purpose of the Crawl Space Foundation are as follows:
The crawl space foundation works better than the slab foundation in an earthquake-prone area. The movement caused by that earthquake will crack the foundation of your foundation slab. In contrast, the crawl space foundation works properly as it is more flexible.
2. Flood Zones
This type of foundation is definitely beneficial in flood-prone areas because it is built 18 inches above the ground. Due to which flood, water can pass through the bottom of this foundation.
Once the flood waters recede, hard work will be required to inspect the crawl space foundation. However, this foundation allows you to repair the damage done to the foundation of your home.
3. Uneven Ground
When the crawl space foundation is not a grading level of the ground, the crawl space is more suitable for levelling the house and changing the height of the cinder blocks and interior pillars to level the house according to the surrounding area.
What Is the Difference Between Slab Foundation and Crawl Space Foundation?
- A slab foundation is a type in which a building or structure is made on the top of the slab, and in crawl space, concrete foundation walls and concrete blocks beam are used to support the building or structure.
- The crawl space foundation gives the space for plumbing and wiring, but it is not possible in the slab foundation. If any fault occurs in the future related to plumbing or wiring, it is easy to resolve the issue in the crawl space foundation. Still, if there is a slab foundation, the issue will not easily resolve.
- Crawl space foundation is beneficial for the area which is having uneven ground level, so by making concrete beams, it is possible to give the building or structure an even level of the floor. In contrast, slab foundation only works in areas with an equal ground level to give straight flooring, so it will not work in the area with uneven ground.
- Slab foundations are not suitable in cold weather conditions the places where climatic conditions are cold because there is the possibility of cracks in the slab due to cold, while crawl space foundations will work in cold regions.
- The crawl space foundation is mostly used in the dry area because in this type of foundation, the space is present, and there is the possibility of damage due to moisture in the foundation, so mostly crawls space foundation is preferred in dry areas or places where climatic conditions are dry.
- Crawl space foundations are expensive in nature, while slaps are less expensive in nature.
- The maintenance cost of a crawl space foundation is higher than a slab foundation.
- Slab foundation doesn’t require maintenance, while crawl space foundation requires timely maintenance.
Also Read: Flat Roof Repair Tips | Gutter Helmet Vs Leaf GuardGrants
Conclusion of Crawl Space Foundations
Crawl space foundations are far better as compared to slab foundations when it comes to earthquakes. The crawl space foundations have greater earthquake resistance than the other type of foundations.
The lateral movements and general undulations of an earthquake mean that it will create cracks easily. Homes with a crawl space foundation are elevated a few feet off the ground. Like a slab, a footing is poured, then blocks are laid to create the foundation to support the structure’s walls.
Building a crawl space foundation will save more costly as compared to a basement, but not necessarily time, as they take more time to build as a full basement foundation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Are Crawl Space Foundations Good?
Slab and crawl space foundations can be the right choice for a home foundation based on your home needs. The slab foundation can withstand moisture. But its major disadvantage is that it cracks easily when the soil changes. Crawl Space Foundation works on a well-sloped property than a slab foundation but has a higher construction cost.
What Are the Benefits of a Crawl Space Foundation?
These types of foundations are suitable in seismic regions and uneven soils. In addition, this type of foundation provides much-needed access to plumbing and wiring. In addition, it provides a service for easy detection and removal of terminates and other germs. Sometimes a well-insulated and waterproofed crawl space can offer good ventilation and storage area.
How Deep Is a Crawl Space Foundation?
The footings of this type of foundation should be at least 12 inches deep under the previously uneven soil. Its footings should also be at least 12 inches below the snow line.
How Much Does It Cost to Build a Crawl Space Foundation?
The crawl space foundation build costs range from $ 8,000 to $ 21,000, with an average cost of around $ 14,000.
What Are the Disadvantages of a Crawl Space Foundation?
Crawl space foundation is a time taken process because beams are made in this type of foundation, and it is necessary to make them on equal height, so it will take time to set beams on a fixed level.
How Much Does a Crawl Space Foundation Cost Per Square Foot?
Crawlspace foundations can cost from $ 5 to $ 16 crawl space cost per square foot. Stem wall foundations are also used for crawlspace foundations. And it also includes posts and pillars.
Is a Crawl Space Foundation Right for Your Home?
The crawl space foundation gives the space for plumbing and wiring, but it is not possible in the slab foundation. If any fault occurs in the future related to plumbing or wiring, it is easy to resolve the issue in the crawl space foundation. Still, if there is a slab foundation, the issue will not easily resolve.
How Is a Crawl Space Foundation Built?
Crawl space foundations are built by raising the house an average of 18 inches above ground level. It consists of a foundation using stem wall footing and blocks walls around the perimeter of the foundation to support the house.
What Type of Foundation Has a Crawl Space?
A crawl space foundation is an elevated foundation in which the steps to enter the house are usually 18 inches to 4 feet above the ground. It is constructed of concrete or cinder blocks. Homeowners often layer the blocks with bricks to improve the aesthetics of the home.
Like this post? Share it with your friends!
Suggested Read –
- Augmented Reality in Construction | Augmented Reality in Civil Engineering | Augmented Reality for Construction Projects
- What Is Clerestory Roof? | Why Install a Clerestory Roof? | Clerestory Roof Cost
- What Is Hip and Valley Roof? | Building a Hip and Valley Roof | Advantages and Disadvantages of Hip and Valley Roof
- What Is a Sawtooth Roof? | How to Build a Sawtooth Roof? | Advantages & Disadvantages of Sawtooth Roofs
- What Is a Movable Wall? | Types of Movable Walls | Modular Walls for Offices | Advantages of Movable Wall Systems