What Is Folded Plate?
Folded plate structures are in a very light form, their work can be done quickly and easily. Its length up to 30th can be easily installed
The assembly structure of flat plates in folded plates is such that they can connect with each other with their edges. In this way, the structure is formed by joining folded plates attached to each other in the structural system.
In which the formation does not require additional supporting beams. It is capable of carrying the required load.
Engineer Eugene Freyssinet created the structural structure in 1923 in the parish by folded plate. It was designed in an aircraft hangar at Orly Airport in Paris.
Folding systems are known for the principle of folding as a tool for developing design in construction in ordinary buildings.
Folded plate structure systems come in a variety of natural designs. Shapes such as broadleaf-tree leaves, petals, and foldable insect wings can be created. The folded plate keeps changing based on the new technology.
Folded Plate Structures
Folded plate structures are flat plate assemblies arranged in different directions. For modern folded plate structures, folded plates are made from precast reinforced concrete or steel plates.
A folded plate consists of a shell structure as a type. The shell structure consists of a series of thin plates. Also commonly called a hipped plate.
The plate members of the folding plates are connected to each other by supporting the common edge on the common columns. Able to cover large areas by folded plate.
The specialty of creating flat surfaces is the bent plate. Due to this feature, bent plates are more used in small areas of curved surfaces. Structural multiple designs can be easily used where needed.
Types of Folded Plate Structures
1. V-Shaped Folding Plates
These V-shaped plates are usually made for architectural design. It is usually used for short spans. It cannot withstand compressive stress to the top and bottom of the concrete structure. It is used to give elevation effects.
2. Butterfly-Shaped Folding Plates
Butterfly-shaped folding plates are mostly used for factory roofs and petrol pump roofs. Windows can be installed in this type of design.
3. Trough Shaped Folding Plates
Trough-shaped folding plates have been used to build roofs for a long time. It is capable of resisting compressive stress. This type of folding plate can be used to cover a large area.
4. Tapered Folded Plates
Tapered folded plates are used especially in the factory. This type of folding plate is used to create air ventilation in the factory. It has a decorative design.
5. Hyped Folded Plates
Excited folding plates are mostly used to make cooling sheds in thermal power stations. In addition, tent sheds are made in factories.
Two types of reinforcement are used to construct such folding plates: transverse reinforcement & longitudinal reinforcement.
Advantages of Folded Plate Structures
- Since folded plate structures are in a very light form, their work can be done quickly and easily. Its length up to 30th can be easily installed. And it has a thickness of 60mm.
- These types of structures can be used economically and reduce construction costs.
- It gives better architectural effects than other forms of construction.
- It can be used for long-span in construction like a factory.
- It specializes in selecting specific arched shapes.
- This type of structure can be used to get sunlight and air in the factory.
- Very useful in construction like a petrol pump.
Disadvantages of Folded Plate Structures
- It isn’t easy to do shuttering work.
- In this type of structure, special care has to be taken for the formwork.
- This type of structure requires skilled labor and supervision.
Folded Plate Staircase
The fold plate staircase is a self-supported construction without stringers.
Folded plate staircases are often used in construction for attractive design in modern buildings. Its design is thin and attractive.
However, the centering and alignment of the folded plate stair structure demand a lot of skill. Stairs are more expensive than other categories because of such costs.
The appropriate amount of counterweight is calculated for the stability of the structure of the folded plate staircase.
The folded plate staircase runs along an open wall in a flight to connect the two floors of the building.
What Are Folded Plate Roofs?
Folded plate roofs are preferred for the weight-bearing capacity and durability of the roof. This type of roof has flat plates as an assembly. These folded plates are connected to each other by edges at the top.
The first folded plate roof was used in Germany in the 1920s. It was mainly made in large factories like coal bunkers. In addition, folded plate roofing technology was used to build warehouses in the U.S. in 1930.
Folded plates are easier to construct than other types of roof systems for construction such as industrial and petrol pumps etc. This type of roof is cheaper than other roofs.
Assumptions for the Analysis of Folded Plate
- The material used for folded plates is elastic, uniform, isotropic, and of good quality.
- Hook’s law applies to the structure of a folded plate. The thickness of the plate is less than the various dimensions of the folded plate.
- The problem is considered to be one-dimensional in two dimensions based on the principle of elasticity in the folded plate.
- The joint is considered to be rigid as required.
Like this post? Share it with your friends!
Suggested Read –
- Density Of Cement, Sand, And Aggregate
- What Is the WellPoint System? | Types of WellPoint System | Advantages & Disadvantages of Well Point System
- What Is a Beam Bridge? | Types of Beam Bridges | Advantage & Disadvantage of Beam Bridge
- What Is Pitched Roof? | Types of Pitched Roof | Advantage & Disadvantage of Pitched Roof
- What Is False Work? | Types of Falsework | Causes of Falsework Failures
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Folded Plate
The assembly structure of flat plates in folded plates is such that they are able to connect with each other with their edges. In this way, the structure is formed by joining folded plates attached to each other in the structural system.
2. Folded Plate Structures
Folded plate structures are flat plate assemblies arranged in different directions. For modern folded plate structures, folded plates are made from precast reinforced concrete or steel plates, etc.
3. Folded Plate Roof
Fold plate roofs are preferred for their high weight-carrying capacity and durability. They have flat slabs or plates in the assembly that are tilted in different directions and their edges are connected to each other at the top.
4. What Are the Different Types of Folding Plates?
- Tapered folded plates are used for aesthetic purposes,
- Z-shaped folding plates are used exclusively for factory construction
- Hyped folding plates are used exclusively for tent-shed roofs and cooling towers in thermal power stations.