You may come across a question about what exactly the Drain tiles mean? There is a common misconception about the drain tiles among the people that they refer to the tiles and floors but let me clear you that the drain tiles are nothing to do with the Tiles and floors of your Building.
In this article, you will get to learn What is drain Tile and how does it work, its uses and properties, and how you can replace the drain tile.
What Is Drain Tile(Weeping Tile)?
The Drain tile is a perforated pipe that is surrounded by the pieces of the stones. The primary purpose of the residential drain tile is to collect and remove the water before it gets entered into the basement of the residential building and harm the foundation.
The Drain tile(Weeping Tile) may be installed around the outside area of the foundation of the building or maybe inside the foundation or beneath the floor slab.
The Drain Tile is the commonly used term in some regions of the country for agricultural drainage systems.
The Drain tile system is installed in the home to ensure that the moisture or the groundwater present does not infiltrate the basement of the building.
How Does Drain Tile work?
The drain Tile can be installed of various shapes such as circular, square, and rectangular, but the shape of the pipe does not play an important role in Drain tile.
The element which is vital in the drain tile is the design and the execution of the system. The working of the drain tiles does not depend upon the shape of the drain tile.
The Drain tiles relieve the pressure and pick up the groundwater present around the foundation of the structure and transport the water outside the area of the foundation.
How to Drain Water from Under House?
It is very essential to keep the foundation of your structure dry and drain off the groundwater from under the house as early as possible.
The moisture present around the basement or the foundation of the structure may affect the structural stability of the building and foundation issues.
So, the groundwater near the foundation must be effectively drained off. The proper drainage near the basement of the building can be achieved with the installation of the appropriate drainage system for the removal of water from the foundation.
The Installation of the Drain tile has a perforated pipe that is surrounded by gravel. The Drain tile will help to effectively collect and drain off the groundwater from the basement of the foundation.
How to Install Drain Tile Around Foundation?
The Poor drainage system near the structure can create an inconvenient and negative impact on the health of the vegetation.
The groundwater may develop cracks in the foundation of the structure. The Installation of the Drain tile around the foundation will protect your basement.
The Drain tiles are made from different materials such as clay, polyvinyl chloride, and corrugated plastic piping, etc. Installation of the Drain Tiles may be a difficult and highly complex task and requires proper knowledge.
That’s why Here, we have explained a step-by-step procedure that will help you to the installation of the Drain Tile around the Foundation.
1. First, dig a trench near the structure, at least having a width of 12 inches in width and extending up to the bottom of the foundation.
2. Pound a stake into the ground at each end of the trench and then stretch a string having a line-level attached between the two stakes.
3. Then, measure the distance between the two stakes and calculate the extent of the trench.
4. Shape the bottom side of the trench so that the string rests on the top of the soil over the entire area of the trench.
5. Line the trench with the filter fabric or the cloth to get covered at the bottom, and it should be extended at least 18 inches on each side of the trench.
6. Lay down the perforated drain pipe at the bottom of the trench and ensure that the trench should be oriented horizontally with its perforations.
7. Place a level on the top of the drain pipe in the different sections to ensure proper slope. Add or remove the soil and gravel under the pipe if it is required.
8. Cover the pipe with at least 12 inches of clean gravel and fold the excess landscape fabric on the top of the layer of the gravel.
9. Fill the remaining trench with gravel or soil and level the surface properly.
Drain Tile(Weeping Tile) Properties:
The various properties of Drain Tile properties are as follows:
- The Drain tiles, when immersed in the bed of stone then it facilitates the drainage to the piping.
- The Drain tile is basically perforated, due to which it allows the entry of water.
- The Corrugated drain tiles come in the coils of the flexible piping in lengths that vary from 100ft to 3000ft.
- The piping is constructed from a plastic material such as Polyvinyl chloride or ABS or clay.
- The drain tile diameter of the pipe has a standard size of about 4” for the adequate drainage of the foundation.
- The pipe is generally cylindrical in shape, and there are also some square and rectangular-shaped drainage systems. The shape of the pipe does not make a difference in the flow of the water.
- The Tile piping typically ranges in size between 2” to 18” in diameter.
Drain Tile(Weeping Tile) Uses:
There are various uses of Drain tiles that are as follows:
- The Drain Tiles are mainly used in the transportation of the water from one place to another place as an integral part of the Irrigation system.
- Drain Tiles are also used to prevent the fields from oversaturation which can limit the growth of the crop.
- It helps to drain off the water from around the area and beneath the basement of the structure.
- It helps to keep the water from pooling in low-lying areas.
- The Drain Tiles are installed to solve a various multitude of basement water problems that occur.
Types of Pipe Used in Drain Tile
There are two main types of pipes for drain tile installation. Includes PVC and flexible corrugated pipe.
1. Flexible Corrugated Pipe
This pipe has slits cut on its sides. These slits allow water to enter the pipe from all directions and keep out sand, clay and gravel particles.
Flexible corrugated pipe is available at about $ 0.89 per foot. This pipe is cheaper than PVC. It does not require fitting in the corner of the drain tile as it is flexible and can bend manually.
This type of pipe is very durable and can withstand a variety of temperature conditions.
It is usually advisable to use 4-inch pipe for residential drainage. However, sizes up to 6 inches are suitable for industrial use.
2. Pvc Drain Tile Pipes
PVC pipes are commonly used for drain pipes. It has small holes in the pipe to get water into the PVC pipe. In the installation of drain tile, the perforated side of the PVC pipe is downwards. These holes allow water to collect from the ground.
These pvc pipes are rigid pipes. It requires separate angle fittings to change direction. This type of PVC drain pipe comes in a length of 20 feet
How to Replacing Drain Tile:
The process for replacing the drain tiles are as follows:
- Without having drain tiles there are the chances that the water would seep into the structure of the basement of the structure.
- First upon unearthing the drain tile in the area where the damage becomes very apparent.
- To unearth it may require heavy tools depending upon how deep your drain tile is.
- Clear away the layer of the gravel which covers the drain tile. This gravel can be again used once you will complete the drain tile replacement work.
- Identify the section of the drain tile which is damaged and remove it for repair.
- Cut down the section which is totally damaged and replace it with a new one. It is generally recommended to use the plastic drain tile as it is more durable and less costly.
- Before replacing the drain tile, it is very essential that you should check that the size of the new drain tile should be the same and it should be fitted properly.
- Recover the drain tile with the gravel and also replace the water filtration system at the bottom side of the drain tile.
List of Drain Tile Companies:
1. Belle Plaine Block & Tile Co.
The company’s products include concrete tanks, septic tanks, gallon capacity, pumps, and holding tanks. Also included are corrugated metal pipes, high-density polyethylene (HDPE) drain tiles, and fittings.
2. Turtle Plastics
The company is a manufacturer and distributor of drain tiles from recycled PVC plastic. Also manufactures products with various features. These include features such as interlocking design, animal waste, shampoo, oil, and other chemical resistance, etc. Indoor and outdoor run, bathing area, floor tub, and other applications are offered with a five-year warranty.
The company produces clay and ceramic products for agricultural, commercial, and industrial applications, regardless of construction. In addition, various products include chimney liners, chimney, fireplace, baking and tower fill, drain tile, and partition tiles.
4. Kieft Brothers Incorporated
The company mostly consists of precast concrete products. These products include storm and sanitation sewers and water distribution programs. It also produces products such as manholes, grease basins, water vaults, septic tanks, and sump pits and pipes.
5. Quarry Setta Co.
Acoustical, Drain & Floor Tiles
6. A & B Precast Mfg. Ltd.
The company manufactures a variety of precast concrete products in the commercial and residential sectors. These products include septic/pump and holding slabs, curbs, well and drain tiles, railings, steps, tanks, grease traps, bases, blocks, and manholes.
The company manufactures drain tiles using polypropylene material. It produces drain tile in various colors in 12X12 X 1/2. Also manufactures products for garage floor, basement, showroom, deck, and sport court.
8. ADS Pipe
(ADS) The company focuses on drainage products and services. The company provides services for solutions to persistent and challenging drainage problems. Provides services to help developers and property owners store rainwater by safely pre-treating stormwater runoff.
ADS Company is a leading manufacturer of high-performance thermoplastic corrugated pipe and other products. The use of which provides suitability of water management products and best drainage solutions in the construction and infrastructure marketplace.
9. Sewickley Construction Products, Inc.
The company offers quality metal and plastic pipe products in its products. It partners with industry-leading manufacturers to produce the best materials for project needs.
The company’s products include Polymer-Coated Corrugated Steel Pipe, Aluminum Box Culverts, Corrugated metal pipe & Pipe Arch.
, Heavy Duty Corrugated Plastic Pipe, Perforated Heavy Duty Plastic Pipe, Corrugated Aluminum Pipe, etc.
10. Hector Tile Company
The company has been producing quality concrete drain tiles since 1964. The company also designs and installs drainage systems.