Shuttering is an important part of the construction. Building Shuttering is a vertically temporary arrangement for required casting concrete members. Shuttering systems are generally identified for vertical members (wall, columns, piers ).
Shuttering is made from various materials i.e. timber, steel, plastic, etc. Selections of materials should be economical, requirements of structure and quality, etc. Great skills and experience is required for shuttering manufacturers. The materials used in shuttering give structural strength and functional efficiency.
Shuttering must be economical, safe structures and properly designed. Shuttering design is impacted by the concrete surfaces. Shuttering is a very important system in structures.
What Is Shuttering?
Shuttering is a vertically temporary arrangement that is arranged to bring concrete in the required shape and size. Shuttering supports the vertical surface. Shuttering is a part of formwork. When formwork is arranged for columns, footings, and retaining walls, is called shuttering.
Shuttering is used in temporary and permanent molds, into which fresh concrete is compacted. Shuttering must have enough strength to carry a load for casting concrete. In shuttering work, different types of materials are used such as timber, steel, wood, plastics, etc. All types of shutters are designed according to the structure.
Types of Shuttering:
There are various types of shuttering material used on the construction site. Shuttering is classified according to materials, shapes, method of construction, etc.
A. Different Types of Shuttering Are:
- Column shuttering
- Beam shuttering
- Wall shuttering
- Foundation shuttering
- Permanent insulated shuttering
- Timber formwork
- Fabric shuttering
- Steel / metallic shuttering
- Plywood shuttering
- Plastic shuttering
- Aluminum shuttering
- Magnesium shuttering
- Coffer shuttering
B. Types Of Shuttering Based on Materials:
Following are types of shuttering based on the materials.
1. Shuttering Materials: Timber
- Shuttering Wood is a commonly available material used for shuttering.
- Shuttering wood is lightweight and inexpensive.
- Shuttering remains easy to remove wood.
- It is a very flexible formwork that is usually available on the site.
- It is economical for small projects.
- Shuttering wood provides great insulation.
2. Fabric Shuttering Materials:-
- Fabric shuttering is also known as flexible formwork. Fabric shuttering has easily removable after the hardening of concrete.
- Fabric shuttering is used in irregular-shaped and complex structures.
- In Fabric shuttering, geotextile materials are used. Geotextile is a flexible fabric. Fabric shuttering is most famous for architectural purposes.
- Wayne dalton hurricane fabric is a modern technology in infrastructure and industries.
3. Steel Shuttering/Metal Shuttering Materials:-
- Steel shuttering can be used in a large number of projects in construction and infrastructure.
- It is a costly shuttering material. Steel shuttering gives a smooth surface in the concrete structures. And offers smooth finishing in casting concrete.
- Metal shuttering is durable. It has a long-lasting life. Steel shuttering can provide more rigidity and strength.
4. Plywood Shuttering Materials:-
- Shuttering plywood has been used on the construction site.
- Plywood shuttering is easy to handle. It has durable.
- It has a lighter weight compared to metallic shuttering.
- Plywood shuttering gives smooth finishing to the surface.
- Plywood is manufactured wood. Plywood makes in the industry.
- Shuttering plywood is used especially for sheathing, decking, and forms lining.
5. Plastic Shuttering Materials:-
- Plastic shuttering is used in simple concrete structures. Plastic shuttering is lightweight.
- Plastic shuttering has less durable than metal.
- Plastering shuttering is commonly used for a large section.
- It is multiple reuses are possible on site.
- It requires less handling on the construction site.
6. Aluminum Shuttering Materials:-
- Aluminum shuttering is used for formwork for concrete.
- Aluminum alloys have resisting corrosion.
- Aluminum shuttering has lightweight.
- Aluminum has a lower density and lower strength than steel.
- Aluminum shuttering is economical.
- Once the aluminum shuttering is constructed, no alterations are possible.
7. Magnesium Shuttering Materials:-
- Magnesium shuttering is used on construction sites.
- Magnesium is another metal used in shuttering.
- Magnesium is not used directly but it is used in combination with oxygen atoms i.e. MgOmagnesium oxide(magnesia). MgO is lightweight and easily handled.
- Magnesium shuttering resists heavy loads easily.
8. Coffer Shuttering Materials:-
- Coffer shuttering is used in structures such as houses, multistory buildings, etc. Coffer shuttering is stay in place shuttering.
- It is transported prefabricated in the factory It is consisting of two filtering grids i.e. vertical and horizontal.
Requirements for Good Shuttering:-
In designing and building structure following major objectives are required for shuttering. Following are the requirements of good shuttering.
1. Materials Used:-
- Materials used in shuttering work must be economical. This material is used as possible as a long time. Materials used for shuttering work should be easily available.
- Materials used in shuttering work should be of higher quality.
- In shuttering work; materials should be light as possible.
- The shuttering should have more strength to carry enough loads. The shuttering should be strong enough to carry the live load during its pouring and compacting, and a dead load of concrete.
3. Watertight/Less Leakage:-
- The shuttering must be water-tight so that no wastage of fine particles of cement.
- The shuttering used on the construction site should be provided such that less leakage through the joints because the leakage of concrete slurry occurs through the joints.
4. Smooth Surface:-
- The surface of the shuttering should be smooth. The shuttering used on the construction site gives a smooth face and levelled finish to the surface member.
5. Easy Removal:-
- The shuttering used on the construction site should be easily removed without damaging the concrete surfaces.
- The design of shuttering should be easily removable with lesser-used hammering. The removal of shuttering should be less injury to concrete surfaces and edges of concrete.
- The quality of shuttering must be good. The shuttering used on the construction site should be long-lasting. Therefore shuttering can be reused more time.
7. Rigidity (Stiffness):-
- The shuttering should be rigid (stiff). The shuttering used on the construction site should not be more deflected and deformed i.e. minimum deflection and deformation of concrete surfaces . The shuttering used to be rigid (stiff) allow repeating use.
8. Light Weight:-
- The shuttering used for shuttering work should be lightweight. In construction sites, shuttering handling easily hence shuttering should be as possible lightweight.
9. Cheap Cost:-
- The shuttering should be cheaper cost and economical.
- The shuttering should be reusable more time on the construction sites.
- Shuttering materials must be durable.
- The shuttering is a supporting part of the structure.
- The shuttering is used in vertically supported the surface member.
- The shuttering is a vertical member which transfers the load on concrete surfaces.
12. Life Span:-
- The life span of shuttering should be long-lasting. Whenever the shuttering should be used more time on construction site.
- When the choice of shuttering should be given proper insulation. Whenever temperature variations, concrete is not being set properly. Hence insulation is an important requirement.
- Accuracy in shuttering materials should be proper.
- The shuttering should be accurate in size and shape.
- The shuttering should be minimum fittings and minimum cutting of shuttering materials on the construction site.
- The shuttering should follow proper dimensions.
15. Skills Labor:-
- Skills labor is required for the proper arrangement of shuttering.
- Skills labor should be employed for shuttering construction.
- Shuttering determined the proper position and sizes so accuracy depends on skills persons.
Shuttering is a very important system on construction sites. They are made of various materials, these materials are easily available in markets. Shuttering is based on materials, shapes.
Timber formwork and steel shuttering are commonly used on construction projects and infrastructures. Steel shuttering gives the finished level on concrete surfaces. Therefore commonly used on construction sites.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Is a Shuttering in Construction?
Formwork and shuttering are both common terms in the concrete construction industry. … Shuttering is defined as the temporary molds that are used to hold the wet concrete in place until the concrete has been set and cured. Projects of different sizes will often need to use both formwork and shuttering methods.
What Is Shuttering Material?
Shuttering material may be made from plywood. The process of shuttering involves setting up temporary structures that will act as molds for concrete as it sets. Shuttering material may include panels, precast molds, and various fastening and support devices known as falsework.
What Is the Difference Between Formwork and Shuttering?
Shuttering is a vertical temporary arrangement that is arranged to bring concrete to the desired shape. Formwork that supports vertical arrangement is known as shuttering. From a technical point of view, Formwork for columns, footings, retaining walls is called Shuttering.
What Is the Process of Shuttering?
Formwork (shuttering) in concrete construction is used as a mold for a structure in which fresh concrete is poured only to harden subsequently. The design of these temporary structures is made to economic expenditure. The operation of removing the formwork is known as stripping. Stripped formwork can be reused.
What Is the Purpose of Shuttering?
Shuttering is used as a temporary mold into which concrete is poured to obtain the desired structural shape on the construction site. Traditional shuttering is fabricated using timber, but it can also be constructed from steel, glass fiber reinforced plastics, and other materials.
What Is Shuttering Plywood?
Shuttering Plywood Used for shuttering or pouring concrete into molds. When used for concrete molds the plywood is held together by additional wood and metal supports. Once in place, the concrete is poured into the mold. The plywood is then pulled away leaving the structural supports in place.
What Is a Concrete Shuttering?
Concrete shuttering is the erection of a temporary or permanent barrier that holds the concrete in place whilst it is being poured and over the course of curing (drying). … Some shuttering or ‘formwork’ can be left in place between pours and become an integral part of the floor.
Which Oil Is Used in Shuttering?
Shuttering Oil or formwork oil is a high-quality mineral oil that is applied to the inner surface of formwork before concreting. Shuttering oil is also known as a form or mold release agent.
What Are the Types of Shuttering?
Steel Formwork. Steel Formwork.
What Wood Is Used for Shuttering?
Generally, timber and plywood are used in making shuttering material. The point of notice is that the wood must be strong and low weighted. A timber is a type of wood that has been processed into beams and planks. In Canada and USA, timber is known as Lumber and Umber.
Like this post? Share it with your friends!
Suggested Read –
- What Is a Driven Pile? | How Does Driven Piles Work? | Types of Driven Piles
- What Are Bored Piles? | Bored Piles Construction Process | Advantages & Disadvantages of Bored Piles
- What Is Stucco? | Different Types of Stucco | Stucco Application Systems
- Water Leaking into Basement After Heavy Rain | How to Prevent Water in Basement After Heavy Rain
- What Are Vibro Stone Columns? | Vibro Replacement Stone Columns