Shuttering is an important part of the construction. Building Shuttering is a vertically temporary arrangement for required casting concrete members. Shuttering systems are generally identified for vertical members (wall, columns, piers ).
Shuttering is made from various materials i.e. timber, steel, plastic, etc. Selections of materials should be economical, requirements of structure and quality, etc. Great skills and experience is required for shuttering manufacturers. The materials used in shuttering give structural strength and functional efficiency.
Shuttering must be economical, safe structures and properly designed. Shuttering design is impacted by the concrete surfaces. Shuttering is a very important system in structures.
What Is Shuttering?
Shuttering is a vertically temporary arrangement that is arranged to bring concrete in the required shape and size. Shuttering supports the vertical surface. Shuttering is a part of formwork. When formwork is arranged for columns, footings, and retaining walls, is called shuttering.
Shuttering is used in temporary and permanent molds, into which fresh concrete is compacted. Shuttering must have enough strength to carry a load for casting concrete. In shuttering work, different types of materials are used such as timber, steel, wood, plastics, etc. All types of shutters are designed according to the structure.
Types of Shuttering:
There are various types of shuttering material used on the construction site. Shuttering is classified according to materials, shapes, method of construction, etc.
A. Different Types of Shuttering Are:
- Column shuttering
- Beam shuttering
- Wall shuttering
- Foundation shuttering
- Permanent insulated shuttering
- Timber formwork
- Fabric shuttering
- Steel / metallic shuttering
- Plywood shuttering
- Plastic shuttering
- Aluminum shuttering
- Magnesium shuttering
- Coffer shuttering
B. Types Of Shuttering Based on Materials:
Following are types of shuttering based on the materials.
1. Shuttering Materials: Timber
- Shuttering Wood is a commonly available material used for shuttering.
- Shuttering wood is lightweight and inexpensive.
- Shuttering remains easy to remove wood.
- It is a very flexible formwork that is usually available on the site.
- It is economical for small projects.
- Shuttering wood provides great insulation.
2. Fabric Shuttering Materials:-
- Fabric shuttering is also known as flexible formwork. Fabric shuttering has easily removable after the hardening of concrete.
- Fabric shuttering is used in irregular-shaped and complex structures.
- In Fabric shuttering, geotextile materials are used. Geotextile is a flexible fabric. Fabric shuttering is most famous for architectural purposes.
- Wayne dalton hurricane fabric is a modern technology in infrastructure and industries.
3. Steel Shuttering/Metal Shuttering Materials:-
- Steel shuttering can be used in a large number of projects in construction and infrastructure.
- It is a costly shuttering material. Steel shuttering gives a smooth surface in the concrete structures. And offers smooth finishing in casting concrete.
- Metal shuttering is durable. It has a long-lasting life. Steel shuttering can provide more rigidity and strength.
4. Plywood Shuttering Materials:-
- Shuttering plywood has been used on the construction site.
- Plywood shuttering is easy to handle. It has durable.
- It has a lighter weight compared to metallic shuttering.
- Plywood shuttering gives smooth finishing to the surface.
- Plywood is manufactured wood. Plywood makes in the industry.
- Shuttering plywood is used especially for sheathing, decking, and forms lining.
5. Plastic Shuttering Materials:-
- Plastic shuttering is used in simple concrete structures. Plastic shuttering is lightweight.
- Plastic shuttering has less durable than metal.
- Plastering shuttering is commonly used for a large section.
- It is multiple reuses are possible on site.
- It requires less handling on the construction site.
6. Aluminum Shuttering Materials:-
- Aluminum shuttering is used for formwork for concrete.
- Aluminum alloys have resisting corrosion.
- Aluminum shuttering has lightweight.
- Aluminum has a lower density and lower strength than steel.
- Aluminum shuttering is economical.
- Once the aluminum shuttering is constructed, no alterations are possible.
7. Magnesium Shuttering Materials:-
- Magnesium shuttering is used on construction sites.
- Magnesium is another metal used in shuttering.
- Magnesium is not used directly but it is used in combination with oxygen atoms i.e. MgOmagnesium oxide(magnesia). MgO is lightweight and easily handled.
- Magnesium shuttering resists heavy loads easily.
8. Coffer Shuttering Materials:-
- Coffer shuttering is used in structures such as houses, multistory buildings, etc. Coffer shuttering is stay in place shuttering.
- It is transported prefabricated in the factory It is consisting of two filtering grids i.e. vertical and horizontal.
Requirements for Good Shuttering:-
In designing and building structure following major objectives are required for shuttering. Following are the requirements of good shuttering.
1. Materials Used:-
- Materials used in shuttering work must be economical. This material is used as possible as a long time. Materials used for shuttering work should be easily available.
- Materials used in shuttering work should be of higher quality.
- In shuttering work; materials should be light as possible.
- The shuttering should have more strength to carry enough loads. The shuttering should be strong enough to carry the live load during its pouring and compacting, and a dead load of concrete.
3. Watertight/Less Leakage:-
- The shuttering must be water-tight so that no wastage of fine particles of cement.
- The shuttering used on the construction site should be provided such that less leakage through the joints because the leakage of concrete slurry occurs through the joints.
4. Smooth Surface:-
- The surface of the shuttering should be smooth. The shuttering used on the construction site gives a smooth face and levelled finish to the surface member.
5. Easy Removal:-
- The shuttering used on the construction site should be easily removed without damaging the concrete surfaces.
- The design of shuttering should be easily removable with lesser-used hammering. The removal of shuttering should be less injury to concrete surfaces and edges of concrete.
- The quality of shuttering must be good. The shuttering used on the construction site should be long-lasting. Therefore shuttering can be reused more time.
7. Rigidity (Stiffness):-
- The shuttering should be rigid (stiff). The shuttering used on the construction site should not be more deflected and deformed i.e. minimum deflection and deformation of concrete surfaces . The shuttering used to be rigid (stiff) allow repeating use.
8. Light Weight:-
- The shuttering used for shuttering work should be lightweight. In construction sites, shuttering handling easily hence shuttering should be as possible lightweight.
9. Cheap Cost:-
- The shuttering should be cheaper cost and economical.
- The shuttering should be reusable more time on the construction sites.
- Shuttering materials must be durable.
- The shuttering is a supporting part of the structure.
- The shuttering is used in vertically supported the surface member.
- The shuttering is a vertical member which transfers the load on concrete surfaces.
12. Life Span:-
- The life span of shuttering should be long-lasting. Whenever the shuttering should be used more time on construction site.
- When the choice of shuttering should be given proper insulation. Whenever temperature variations, concrete is not being set properly. Hence insulation is an important requirement.
- Accuracy in shuttering materials should be proper.
- The shuttering should be accurate in size and shape.
- The shuttering should be minimum fittings and minimum cutting of shuttering materials on the construction site.
- The shuttering should follow proper dimensions.
15. Skills Labor:-
- Skills labor is required for the proper arrangement of shuttering.
- Skills labor should be employed for shuttering construction.
- Shuttering determined the proper position and sizes so accuracy depends on skills persons.
Shuttering is a very important system on construction sites. They are made of various materials, these materials are easily available in markets. Shuttering is based on materials, shapes.
Timber formwork and steel shuttering are commonly used on construction projects and infrastructures. Steel shuttering gives the finished level on concrete surfaces. Therefore commonly used on construction sites.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Is Shuttering?
Shuttering, also known as formwork, is a temporary structure or mold used in construction to support and shape freshly poured concrete until it becomes strong enough to support itself. It provides the necessary support, stability, and containment for the concrete during the curing process.
Why Is Shuttering Used in Construction?
Shuttering is used in construction for several reasons. It helps give shape and form to the concrete, ensuring that it solidifies into the desired structure. Shuttering also provides support to the concrete while it cures, preventing deformations or collapses. Additionally, it helps to control the flow of concrete and minimizes wastage during the pouring process.
What Are the Different Types of Shuttering Materials?
Shuttering materials can vary depending on the construction project and requirements. Some common types of shuttering materials include timber (such as plywood or boards), steel, aluminum, plastic, and composite materials. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of material depends on factors such as cost, durability, reusability, and ease of handling.